Earthlings is a powerful and informative documentary about society’s treatment of animals, narrated by Joaquin Phoenix with soundtrack by Moby. This award-winning film is a must-see for anyone who cares about animals or wishes to make the world a better place.
Some of the material in this film is painful to watch, but it is essential for all of us to be witness to the realities of our world, to be informed global citizens and do our best to help shine a light on the facts.
Meet Your Meat
Meet Your Meat is a documentary about factory farming created by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), narrated by Alec Baldwin, and directed by Bruce Friedrich and Cem Akin. The documentary explores the treatment of animals in modern animal agriculture (also known as industrial agriculture or factory farming).
The film documents several cases of cruelty to animals, including:
- Egg-laying hens live in crowded cages, six or seven hens to one battery cage the size of a file drawer.
- Cattle are castrated, their horns are ripped off, and third-degree burns (livestock branding) are inflicted on them, all without anesthetic.
- Cows used for their milk have their babies stolen from them shortly after birth. These calves are sent to veal farms.
- Chickens bred and drugged to grow so quickly that their hearts, lungs, and limbs often can’t keep up.
- Mother pigs (sows) are confined to gestation crates that are so small that the pigs cannot turn around or even lie down.
- Chickens’ and turkeys’ beaks are burned or cut off without anesthetic.
Forks Over Knives
Forks over Knives is a 2011 American documentary film directed by American independent filmmaker Lee Fulkerson that advocates a low-fat whole foods, plant-based diet as a means of combating a number of diseases.
See the trailer here: